Today you got the new Xojo version 2022r2 and it can build applications for Windows on ARM CPUs. Not a big needed feature, but a nice to have one. Over the next years clients may get an ARM CPU in their new computers and then you can deliver your applications for them natively.
MBS Plugins 22.3 already contain our plugins with ARM code. Feel free to try them and let us know what you see. Basically now is the time to test and then we can have everything bug free until you need to ship those ARM based Windows applications.
Currently our plugin don't include XL and ChartDirector support for Windows on ARM. That will follow later this year when the libraries are ready.
PS: if you look for a fast running ARM based computer, you may check with Apple and the Parallels software.
You may have seen the blog post: August is Bug Bash Month at Xojo
Last month we had plenty of discussion in the MVP chat about small annoying bugs, which never climb the priority latter to move into the top 100 on the priority list. While a big bug in Xojo gets attention of the team quickly, there are plenty of smaller bugs, which:
- only are relevant to a small number of people e.g.
- only to plugin developers.
- only to developers using the debugger
- only to developers with huge projects
- easy to work around, so nobody pushes for a fix. But still we run into the same known issues again every few weeks.
- have no impact on sales, so the company has little incentive to ever look on them.
As of today, we have 6289 open cases. From that 2028 issues are labeled as bug. From that Xojo Inc may look to around 100 issues, which Xojo engineers can work on in August. Please don't mark all 2000 bug issues as candidates as that would not help much. Pick wisely and find the small issues you would like to see fixed.
If you like to find the issues, you can search for [BugBash2022Nominee]
in comments (needs to be logged in to find something). And later in August you can search for the label: Label= Bug Bash 2022
. Already, we have over 140 issues marked.
To avoid people nominate too many cases, the bot may only pick one of your cases to add the label. Once that case is handled and the flag removed, the bot may do another case. This way it only has one active bug bash label per Xojo customer.
I hope this bug bash will make a difference for all Xojo developers.
Monkeybread Software today is proud to announce Combine PDFs 5.6, an update to their popular PDF merge and split tool for Mac OS. With a focus on ease-of-use, Combine PDFs is a lightweight utility which allows anyone to merge PDF files and images into a single PDF file. The user need only drag & drop files onto the program icon. The main window appears, allowing the user to set the order in which the files are joined.
Changes in Version 5.6:
Combine PDFs Website
- Added Apple Silicon support.
- Improved french translation. Thanks Jean-Luc Evrard.
- Bug fixes.
Requires MacOS 10.10 or newer for 64-bit. Older 32-bit version stays available and still works very well.
This application is made with Xojo
In this article I want to introduce you the new functionalities from the MBS Xojo Plugins in version 22.3.
The coolest feature in new release is the new Mongo DB plugin.
You can now use Xojo to access MongoDB databases, read, write and delete data.
The special thing about Mongo DB is that it is not a rational database that is limited by relationships and tables,
but is based on a JSON-like structure that also allows unusual queries.
For example, you can formulate searches to see who has been in your company longer,
the carpet in the warehouse or your employee. In rational databases,
your carpet wouldn't normally appear in the same table as your employee.
So you would have to design a separate table to be able to make this query.
In Mongo DB, the records, here called documents, can coexist in the same collection and a simple query can be made.
If you would like to try Mongo DB, please check out our examples.
Just two months till the XDC Developer Retreat 2022 starts in Nashville:
Xojo Developer Retreat 2022
, 19th and 20th September 2022.
Please reserve the days from 18th to 21st September in your calendar. You may want to use the weekend to come to Nashville earlier to enjoy the city and then join the get-together on Sunday evening. Two days of conference follows with a special developer adventure on the second day. Yes, instead of lots of sessions in a ballroom, Dana organized something different this time. I bet you'll enjoy it! Be sure sure to stay the night on Tuesday, so you can enjoy the dinner and travel home a day later.
You can either stay in the conference hotel ($269 USD/night) or maybe better get a cheaper hotel outside and drive daily to downtown for the conference. Or maybe you like to share a room when traveling with your colleague?
Since the conference hotel allows you to cancel, it may be good to reserve a room and later rebook it or cancel, when you find a lower rate. See you there!
The first batch of OmegaBundle orders is in delivery.
We process orders in batches every few days. And when you order your copy of the bundle, be prepared to have nothing happening for a day after the order. Then the delivery starts and you may quickly get something like 20 emails with license information and welcome messages.
If you don't get emails for a few days, please check:
Did your bank let the order go through on the credit card?
Did you check your spam filter? Put vendors on white list maybe?
Did you make a typo in the email address?
Every year emails end up in spam folders or bounce with typos.
If one of the vendors knows you, we can fix typos or have an alternative email address and deliver. If you have trouble with the web shop, please contact Paradigma Software, Inc.
They also can provide the invoice for bookkeeping.
A week after the order, check if you got all the licenses from the bundle you needed. Some requires to login somewhere to lookup the license key. But for MBS, you just get a couple of emails.
Nickenich, Germany - (July 12th, 2022) -- MonkeyBread Software today is pleased to announce MBS Xojo Plugins
22.3 for macOS, Linux and Windows, the latest update to their product that is easily the most powerful plugin collection currently available for Xojo. MBS Xojo Plugins
have been updated and now includes over 3000 classes and 80,000 documented features, and the versatile plugins have gained more new functions:
This release allows you to connect from Xojo directly to MongoDB
. Based on the open source Mongo driver we defined over 50 functions. You can connect, run queries, insert, update and delete records. Since the NoSQL Mongo database stores JSON documents in collections, our functions pass and return JSON. We support transport encryption and compression as well as multiple connections. Free your mind and enjoy a new way to store and retrieve data without a fixed table schema!
got new support for PDF/X 5 and 6. The new FontSize property provides current font size. The SetTemplBBox method allows you to change the size of a template.
Since Xojo announced they work on Windows ARM 64-bit support, we started working on our plugins to support the new target. This plugin version includes a first version for testing. Once Xojo ships later this year with the feature, we will probably find a couple of issues. Currently XL and ChartDirector are still missing for ARM on Windows. For the time being we updated the IsTranslated function in SystemInformationMBS
class to detect the emulation status on Windows for ARM.
For iOS projects you may need to show an open, save or export dialog. We add UIDocumentPickerMBS
class to show the standard document picker. This allows your users to pick documents from anywhere without your application having direct access to their folders as you get a temporary copy of a file. And you can write a file to temporary folder and then show the dialog to export it to wherever your user likes to store it.
We update our WebKit 2 control for our macOS and iOS. If you use decidePolicyForNavigationAction, you have to update the code to use the new WKPolicyForNavigationDecisionHandlerMBS class to pass navigation decision to the plugin instead of returning a boolean. Check the new WKNavigationActionMBS
classes for details on the requests. The new WKDownloadMBS
class and related events let you track downloads.
This version continues our development of a new set of classes for Windows Bluetooth. We add WindowsGattDeviceServicesResultMBS
classes. We got WindowsGattWriteResultMBS
classes to read and write values via GATT services.
We added a SerialPortMBS
class to work with serial ports on macOS, Windows and Linux. For our SQL Plugin, you can now explicitly specify MariaDB as database type to use. We added CalculateTOTPMBS
function for time-based one-time-passwords calculated in Xojo to calculate the second factor for logins. We updated TessEngineMBS
class to work with tesseract 5.1
We added a new AVPlayerLooperMBS
class for AVFoundation Plugin to help you do looping playback. Customize a search field with the new NSSearchFieldCellMBS
class. Use SCNAudioPlayerMBS
classes for audio inside a SceneKit scene.
For iOS the new CNContactPickerViewControllerMBS
class can display the information of a contact.
Finally we updated CURL to version 7.84.0, DynaPDF to 22.214.171.124, LibXL to version 4.0.3, SQLAPI to 5.2.1 and Xcode to version 13.4.
See release notes
for a complete list of changes.
New in this prerelease of the 22.3 plugins:
- Updated openssl to version 1.1.1q.
- Fixed a problem on Linux 32-bit ARM accessing string data.
or from DropBox
Or ask us to be added to our shared DropBox folder.
New in this prerelease of the 22.3 plugins:
or from DropBox
Or ask us to be added to our shared DropBox folder.
Get the top developer tools and third party components for the Xojo cross-platform development platform at a huge savings
Omegabundle for Xojo 2022 is a collection of the most useful tool sets, add-ons, digital books and components for use with Xojo Inc's Xojo development environment. If purchased separately and not including any additional offers, the total cost would be over $4120. Omegabundle for Xojo 2022 costs $399.99.
Xojo is an award-winning, cross-platform development tool for the Desktop (macOS, Windows, Linux), Web, iOS (iPad/iPhone) and Raspberry Pi. With Xojo, you can create native applications by using drag-and-drop to build your user interface and then one straight-forward programming language to enable the functionality. Xojo is powerful and modern, yet easy to use and learn.
- AprendeXojo GuancheMOS (UPDATED). The toolkit you need for application serialization and validation. Now supports Intel and ARM processors on macOS!
- Ohanaware App Wrapper (UPDATED). Prepare your application for the Mac App Store or Web Distribution (macOS only app)
- DMG Canvas (Updated). Drag, drop and design your disk image's appearance and to easily and quickly create a fully assembled disk image ready to ship. (macOS only app)
- GrafittiSuite Desktop Edition (UPDATED). 61 (up from 55 from 2021!) incredible user interface controls for Xojo that add value and improve the professional appeal of your Xojo applications.
- XDL Library (NEW) Two new books: Xojo Algorithms Collection and Xojo OOP Collection + 22 new digital articles
- MBS Complete Plugins for Xojo. 47 plugins that extend Xojo with capabilities you want and need to build professional, native OS applications
- MBS SQL Plugin for Xojo. The alternative database interface to Xojo. Connect to 14 different database systems, use more without relaying on ODBC.
- MBS SQLite Extension for Xojo. Adds significant additional functions and support of Regular Expressions in working with SQLite databases.
- Paradigma Software Valentina Studio Pro (UPDATED). Ultimate reports designer, database administration and forms creation tool that runs on all three operating systems - Windows, macOS, Linux. Select one OS version.
- Paradigma Software ValentinaDB ADK for Xojo (UPDATED). Embed the ultra-fast, object-relational Valentina database into your applications and deploy royalty free - Windows, macOS, Linux, including Raspberry PI! Also works with local SQLite files and as a client to Valentina Server.
- Paradigma Software Valentina Reports ADK for Xojo (UPDATED). Generate visually rich reports as graphics, web pages or PDF from your Xojo applications on Windows, macOS, Linux including Raspberry PI! Also works with local SQLite files and as a client to Valentina Server.
- Paradigma Software Valentina Server Unlimited (UPDATED). 4-in-1 Reports Server, Forms Server along with two database servers: one built on object-relational Valentina Database and the other on SQLite. Report and forms serving works with MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server and the included Valentina and SQLite servers
- xDev Magazine (UPDATED). Get back issues and a year’s subscription to xDev Magazine, the professional's magazine for developing with Xojo.
The July/August (20.4) issue of xDev Magazine
is now available. Here's a quick preview of what's inside:
Hiding a Picture in a Picture
(Part 1) by Eugene Dakin
Steganography—the processing of hiding data inside a picture—is a fun science with practical applications. In this new series, Eugene explores doing this with Xojo.
It by Marc Zeedar
MacOS has a cool feature that lets you turn folders of content into a single file called a bundle (or package). Xojo makes this easy. Marc shows you how.
PDF Pie Charts
by Stefanie Juchmes
With the MBS Plugins, you can not only create impressive pie charts, but you can embed them with full vector detail into your PDFs.
by Marc Zeedar
For years Marc wanted to make his own virtual jigsaw puzzle app, but didn’t know how to go about it. Now he figured out to use Xojo’s new clipping path feature to create a really cool game!
Plus: Topics such as ODBC, programmatically creating desktop controls, debugging tips, and much more!