As you see we have 4 options:
- First you can remove PPC code. As FileMaker does not even run on PowerPC based Macs, you can safely remove the old PPC code. (for FileMaker 11-13)
- Second, we remove duplicate libraries. Yes, the runtime contains a few shared libraries several times and it works fine if you remove the duplicates.
- Third, there are some icon files in the runtime which are not assigned to file types, so the operation system will never use them. You can remove them easily with this option.
- Forth, you can remove 32-bit and/or 64-bit code for FileMaker 14. As the runtime requires OS X 10.7 you only need to ship either 32-bit or 64-bit depending on the plugins used. If there are plugins in the extension folder next to the runtime, those will also be shrunken.
- Finally you can reduce the number of languages you support.
As you see we save 54 MB (32%) for a FileMaker 14 runtime here.
We already had questions for a Windows version. FileMaker runtimes on Windows include a lot of DLLs and most are required as far as we see. You still can yourself delete some localization files if you like. Also you don't need to include the Microsoft Runtime folders on Windows 7 as far as we see. Those libraries do ship with Windows 7, but please test that yourself.
Please give it a try and if you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask us.
if you want to share this news with friends, please point them to our website/blog so they can download the latest version. This app will probably need updates regularly for newer versions of FileMaker.